We are a welcoming and healing environment, offering the latest medical technology and compassionate care for everyone who needs it, no matter your situation.
Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center is a community hospital and Level 1 trauma center dedicated to improving the health and wellness of our community. We provide world-class care for all the people of San Francisco, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status.
- The city’s largest primary care facility and part of the SF Health Network.
- The only Level 1 Trauma Center in San Francisco and northern San Mateo.
- The hub of the city’s disaster response in an earthquake or major crisis.
- Consistently recognized for our excellent care with Centers of Excellence in Neurotrauma, Stroke, and Orthopedics.
- The world’s leader in HIV/AIDS care.
- The largest psychiatric acute and rehabilitation hospital in San Francisco.
- In partnership with UCSF – all of our doctors are on the UCSF faculty.
- Home to 20 UCSF research centers, with research budgets exceeding $150 million annually.
We are San Francisco.
Part of the SF Health Network
A Citywide System for Health
The SF Health Network is a community of top-rated clinics, hospitals, and programs including ZSFG, Laguna Honda, and community clinics across San Francisco. All SF Health Network members are welcome at Zuckerberg San Francisco General.
Out in the Community
You can also use Zuckerberg San Francisco General if you receive primary care at one of the community clinics that are not part of the SF Health Network.
The Heart of the City
Like our city, diversity and inclusiveness are our greatest strengths.
We’ve delivered generations of San Francisco’s babies.
We’ve been at the forefront of HIV/AIDS research and care from the beginning.
Our UCSF doctors are considered among the world’s best in their fields.
Our recently-opened hospital uses the latest and best technology anywhere.
Our people are dedicated to caring for all the people of San Francisco.
Discover what makes us the heart of San Francisco.Learn More (4.5MB pdf)
Learn more about our framework to show we care
ICARE is our caring framework, based on our values that guide our interactions with patients, their families and each other. The ICARE framework is a structure that ensures that everyone (patients, visitors and staff) receive compassionate, respectful attention every time.
ICARE stands for:
Introduce yourself and provide your name, title and department
Connect with people by making eye contact, having an approachable smile and using a greeting
Ask to the patient, family member or staff member how you can help them
Respond to questions and clearly explain next steps
Exit courteously by asking if there is anything else that is needed and saying thank you
ICARE was implemented in May of 2016. Our staff, with the support of leadership, developed a set of 3 organizational wide ICARE key behaviors to ensure the best possible interactions with everyone, every time.